The Koleinu Choir invites you to join them! Our congregational choir sings for High Holy Days and for selected Shabbat worship services from September through June. The repertoire covers several genres of music which is rehearsed in an atmosphere of camaraderie and fun. Our adult volunteer choir meets on Wednesdays from 7:00-9:00, and is open to all members, 13 years of age and older. If you like to sing, or have ever before sung in a choir and miss the friendships and joy of making sacred music, please consider giving of yourself and your time to enhance our services.
Here are a few great reasons to join us:
- Choir members have the best seats in the house. Choir members have guaranteed seating for Shabbat AND High Holiday services.
- Robes cover a multitude of problems. Our choir wears robes – beautiful blue robes for during the year, and white robes on the High Holidays.
- Nosh time during rehearsal breaks. One of the benefits of getting together as a group is the opportunity to socialize. This “Nosh Time” is a key component to forming cohesiveness within the choir.
- Singing in a group can be good for your health. Studies have shown that singing relieves stress. Stress, as we all know, is a contributor to many physical and mental ailments that are plaguing our society. Group singing, in particular, releases seratonin, which is the body’s way to ensure happiness and well being. It has also been theorized that group singing can cause the release of oxytonin, yet another chemical produced by the body that contributes to well being. People who sing as a group simply do not get as “depressed” as others who do not have this kind of outlet in their lives.
- It’s educational. Who knew there were so many different melodies for Mi Chamocha? Singing with the choir has many fringe benefits. Not only do you learn songs and melodies, but you learn the Hebrew for the prayers, as well. All of our music has transliterated Hebrew, (Hebrew that is printed with English letters). And while some of our members read music, many do not. Singing should be enjoyable, not stressful.
If even one of the above reasons appeals to you, give it a try! Contact Cantor Cannizzaro at email@example.com for our rehearsal schedule. We can’t wait to meet you.